Last week, you voted QB Tom Brady as the Player of the Week for his performance against the Buffalo Bills. Brady was also the Player of the Week for Week 1, but will find himself passing the honors onto someone new this week. Brady played well against the Miami Dolphins in the Pats’ 41-14 victory Monday night, passing for an efficient 153 yards on 19 out of 24 attempts and a touchdown, but special teams and some key defenders played the biggest role for the Patriots this time. A powerful and effective running game also helped jolt the Patriots to a victory. Without further ado, let’s get to this week’s nominees so that you may cast your vote:
- Patrick Chung. Chung had a career night, making big plays on special teams and on defense. He had a blocked punt that set up a Patriot touchdown, a blocked field goal that was returned for a touchdown, and a 51-yard interception return for a touchdown. That means that Chung had a hand in 21 points for the Patriots.
- Rob Ninkovich. Ninkovich struggled early in the game against the run but turned it on as the game progressed and single-handedly put a stop to three Dolphins drives as they were pushing down the field. He picked off Chad Henne twice and had a sack which set up a 53-yard field goal attempt. That attempt was eventually blocked by Chung and returned for a TD by Kyle Arrington.
- Jerod Mayo. Mayo easily had his best game since his rookie season. He was all over the field Monday night, amassing 16 tackles and a pass-defensed.
- BenJarvus Green-Ellis/Danny Woodhead. These two running backs are co-nominees for the hand each played in moving the ball on the ground. BJGE ran for 76 tough yards on 16 carries (4.8 average) and a touchdown while Woodhead ran for 36 yards on 8 carries (4.5 average) and caught an 11-yard pass for a TD. The effectiveness of the running game allowed the clock to keep running and keep the Dolphins’ defense from keying in on the Patriots’ passing game.
- Brandon Tate. Tate’s 103-yard kick-off return for a touchdown got everything started in the second half and swung the momentum in the Pats’ favor. Tate also showed up in the passing game, catching 4 balls for 39 yards.
Vote for who you think should be the Patriots Player of the Week!
Who is the Patriots' Player of the Week for Week 4?
- Patrick Chung (79%, 31 Votes)
- Rob Ninkovich (10%, 4 Votes)
- BJGE/Danny Woodhead (8%, 3 Votes)
- Jerod Mayo (3%, 1 Votes)
- Brandon Tate (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 39