With so much happening in the NFL over the next several weeks, there are plenty of dates to keep in mind if following the Patriots’ moves.
Here are the most important dates to know:
February 21st – March 7th:
Opening of the franchise tag/transition tag window
- Starting on February 21st, teams can begin applying franchise or transition tags on pending free agents. After a player is tagged, the team and player can discuss potential contract extensions.
Positional values for franchise-tagged players in 2023 are here
February 28th – March 6th:
NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, IN
- Teams will get an up close and personal look at the players entering this year’s draft.
- This is also when teams will set up meetings with prospects they are interested in – up to 60 meetings allowed for 15 minutes each.
College Pro Days begin
- Pro days are held at colleges nationwide and are only for Pro Day-eligible players. The workouts are held with scouts in attendance
March 7th – April 19th:
Pre-draft visits begin
- Also known as the top-30 visit, teams will invite up to 30 non-local players to visit the facility and meet with team personnel, from the head coach and coordinators to scouts and others.
March 13th – 15th:
Negotiation/legal tampering period
- The period in which teams can negotiate with free agent players from teams around the league and begin putting together their new roster ahead of the new league year.
- Starts at noon EST on March 13th and ends at 3:59:59 p.m EST on March 15th.
Start of the new league year
- Start of the 2023 NFL league year, where all deals made during the legal tampering period become official, and more signings can be made without the wait.
March 26th – 29th:
Annual owner’s meeting
- All 32 team owners will meet in Phoenix for three days to discuss all things NFL and the business side of it all.
- This is also the time when rule changes are voted upon.
Offseason workout programs can begin
- Teams with returning head coaches can begin OTAs.
Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets
- Any restricted free agents must sign offer sheets by the end of the day on April 21st.
The Patriots only have one restricted free agent this year – Myles Bryant
April 27th – 29th:
2023 NFL Draft
- The draft will take place in Kansas City this year, with the first round kicking off on Thursday, April 27th.
- Rounds 2 and 3 will be held on the 28th and rounds 4-7 on the 29th.
The Patriots’ projected picks for the 2023 draft
Round 1, Pick 14 overall
Round 2, Pick 46 overall
Round 3, Pick 76 overall (From CAR)
Round 4, Pick 107 overall (from LAR)
Round 4, Pick 117 overall
Round 4, Pick 135 overall (projected compensatory pick)
Round 6, Pick 184 overall (From CAR)
Round 6, Pick 187 overall (From LV)
Round 6, Pick 192 overall
Round 6, Pick 210 overall (projected compensatory pick)
Round 7, Pick 258 (projected compensatory pick)
Fifth-year option deadline
- Teams who selected a player in the first round of the 2020 draft must exercise their fifth-year option by May 1st.
- This applies to the 2024 season.
Patriots will not be exercising any options due to trading out of the first round of the 2020 draft
May 5th – 8th OR May 12th – 15th:
- Teams can start rookie minicamp Friday, May 5th through Sunday May 8th or Saturday May 12th through Monday 15th.
Won’t know the Patriots’ choice until closer to the dates