Patriots-Chiefs postponed after Cam Newton’s positive COVID-19 test

UPDATE: Patriots vs Chiefs has been postponed.

—————————————————————————————–

The Patriots will be without Cam Newton on Sunday.

The New England Patriots already had a slim chance of escaping Kansas City with a victory on Sunday against the Chiefs, but now that’ll be mission impossible since they’ll be without arguably their best player.

Cam Newton has reportedly tested positive for COVID-19 and will miss the game, likely meaning Brian Hoyer will get the start under center. This completely shifts the Patriots’ offensive game plan and the Chiefs should have a much easier task on the defensive side of the ball now.

This was truly the last thing anybody expected on Saturday morning because the COVID outbreak news has been following the Tennessee Titans and Minnesota Vikings. The Titans-Steelers Week 4 game has been postponed.

We don’t know what this means for others on the team, since the Patriots will have to test more expansively when you consider a lot of players and personnel have come into contact with the former MVP this week. However, at this point, that’s not the case.

Then again, all we hear about Newton is that he’s the first one in the facilities and the last one out, so that would be remarkable if zero other people test positive. And let’s not forget, there’s always the possibility of a false positive, but the NFL cannot take any chances after what’s transpired this week.

The Patriots released a statement shortly after confirming all of this, but did not mention Newton by name.

It’s seemingly trending in the direction that this game will be postponed, but we do not know for sure yet. There’s reportedly been concerns expressed from other players and that could be all it takes to see the second game of Week 4 get put on hold. Any further spread could put the season in jeopardy.

Remember, a negative test doesn’t fully put you in the clear, as we’ve heard from countless medical professionals.

If the game is postponed, it could be moved to Monday, but at this point that feels like a super optimistic estimate. Tuesday is an option as well.

Stay tuned for further updates as they become available.