Aug 15, 2014; Foxborough, MA, USA; New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady (12) warms up before the preseason game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Gillette Stadium. Mandatory Credit: David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports
Preseason game two is in the books and as always another review of the game tape is necessary to fill in some of the quick-hits on the notes filling up the notebook for the Patriots – Eagles matchup. A strong first quarter by both units have optimism sky high for the Patriots. There was one major miscue by New England in the first quarter and a Jimmy Garoppolo first quarter sighting. With so much going on, here is a breakdown of what was going on in the first quarter with the starters on the field for the Patriots in their win over the Eagles.
Aug 15, 2014; Foxborough, MA, USA; New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady (12) hands off the ball to running back James White (28) as they take on the Philadelphia Eagles during a preseason game at Gillette Stadium. Mandatory Credit: David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports
FIRST TEAM OFFENSE – DRIVE ONE:
- Vintage running back Stevan Ridley on first down first play of drive going 7 yards.
- Jordan Devey at right guard getting more first team repetitions with Dan Connolly at center.
- Steve Maneri at tight end as the only healthy one. James Develin at fullback.
- Left guard Logan Mankins and left tackle Nate Solder looking to hit some Eagles: both were well downfield making room for Ridley.
- Same alignment for second play of drive with wide receiver Kenbrell Thompkins switching to wide left and Julian Edelman moving to wide right.
- Maneri motioned right at the snap. Develin made room around the corner for a potential big run but Ridley never got there with Devey losing ground and allowing the defender into the backfield. Getting hit with the ten-yard penalty for illegal hands to the face did not help the rookie’s situation.
- Second and 13 and still no change to the jumbo alignment. The coaching staff wants to see the two wide receiver look for a bit.
- Pass for six yards to Thompkins. Thompkins has a chance to cement regular playing time again with Aaron Dobson out.
- Brady to Edelman on third down against a zone defense look.
- Offense looking smooth on the first drive as they extend it with the always critical third down drive.
- Trips right alignment on the play.
- Great protection by the line. Could use that clean pocket in a how-to video.
- Edelman breaking the route off just past the markers.
- No pass rush and Eagles in zone equals easy pass and catch for the Patriots
- Ridley for ten yards then six yards to midfield and staying on the field on first and second down.
- Jumbo package on as the Patriots had some serious beef on the offensive line.
- Six more for Ridley.
- Strong run with some Philadelphia penetration. Sebastian Vollmer was knocked to the ground
- Nate Solder out for Marcus Cannon on second-and four.
- Brady missed Amendola deep.
- No safety help on that side with Philadelphia safety Malcolm Jenkins late to the play and Thompkins was wide left next to him.
- Amendola broke towards sideline and had a step with no safety in front of him.
- Expect to see offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels pull that play again.
- Third and four, Shane Vereen out wide right. Amendola, Edelman, and Brandon LaFell trips left.
- Amendola open in the middle just sitting in zone to convert.
- LaFell was wide open as well as cornerback gave too much cushion.
- Mankins and Solder (back in on the left side) providing good protection.
- Brady saw that same ten-yard cushion from Philadelphia cornerbacks (Cary Williams again) and Thompkins wide left is the beneficiary.
- Brady will take that all day.
- Nice move by Thompkins to get more on Cary Williams.
- Kenbrell Thompkins getting lot of snaps on first unit at wide receiver
- Thompkins now with two receptions on first drive nice run after catch on screen.
- Maneri at TE did not see the same alignment as Brady as he never turned for the ball until well afterwards.
- Cary Williams did turn and it was a pick-six.
- Not sure if Maneri (he’s only been around a week) was reading the same thing as Brady there. Keep the miscommunication in the preseason, though.
- Nice runback by Williams.
- Why did Baltimore let him go?
- Oh yeah, all that money paid to Joe Flacco.