Andy Marlin-USA TODAY Sports
Welcome to The Patriot Way – New England Patriots News and links from around the web
– For a comprehensive list of Bill Belichick’s comments about each of the Patriots selections from this weekend’s NFL draft, check out here. Interesting to see Belichick compare running back James White directly to Shane Vereen. Perhaps competing for the same roster spot?
– The Patriots also got to work signing undrafted free agents, a position that traditionally has made a large impact on the roster. It is worth noting the number of tight ends on that list. I am shocked that the Patriots were unable to find a spot to draft a tight end they liked, given the uncertainty at the position. This leads me to believe they will be signing Dustin Keller, whom they had in for a visit just before the draft.
– The biggest news for the Patriots came when they drafted quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo in the second round. Unlike other quarterbacks drafted by New England, there is a strong sense that Garoppolo may end up being Tom Brady’s heir. As a fan, the player does not upset me, but the notion that Brady is close to done is most upsetting.
– Garoppolo does share a link with Tom Brady.
– First round pick Dominique Easley was reportedly targeted at pick #32 by the Seahawks. After being selected at #29 by the Patriots, the Seahawks traded down out of the first round.
– Of the late round picks, Jeremy Gallon is one to watch as we head into mini and training camps.
– Perhaps the pick that would have the most repercussions is center Bryan Stork out of Florida State. It was noted before the draft that Center and guard were two areas the Patriots would look to improve upon and add depth, and Stork fits the bill for both. Stork can come in and push center Ryan Wendell, a smaller lineman who had trouble against the bigger defensive tackles, at center and even Dan Connolly at guard. Cutting Connolly would result in cap savings of nearly $3 million.
– What would a draft be without a Rutgers guy coming to New England?