Crystal LoGiudice-USA TODAY Sports
Welcome to The Patriot Way – New England Patriots News and links from around the web
– The biggest news is the Patriots making their first round selection in last nights’s first round of the NFL draft. The Patriots selected Florida defensive lineman Dominique Easley. Grades and viewpoints of the pick have a wide range, per usual, but I think this could be an excellent pick if Easley can stay healthy. Everyone seems to agree that given his injuries, he is a risky pick.
– Easley certainly represents a change in terms of body type fro Patriots defensive lineman. With the league going to more spread offenses, having guys like Easley and linebacker Jamie Collins, guys who can move around to multiple positions and fly around the field
– Bill Belichick spoke to reporters about the Easley selection and about what kind of player the Florida product is, highlighting Easley’s versatility. Here is the video of Belichick’s press conference.
-Easley himself spoke with reporters, touching on his history of knee injuries saying that he is all healthy. I think you have to have some faith in the Patriots medical staff. Injuries are a huge risk for any player in the NFL, so while there seems to be an increased risk with Easley, everyone knew about his injuries.
– I’m sure the “old guy” line is going to cost him a couple dinners or something.
– Mike Reiss takes a look at how the Patriots are set up as they head into day two of the NFL draft (rounds two and three). Needless to say, in such a deep draft, there is loads of talent left to be picked.
– With that, CBS Sports has a second round mock draft based on the results of the first round.
– Here is a look inside the Patriots “War Room” as they make the Easley selection.
-The Patriots also announced their jersey guarantee program yesterday, becoming the first franchise to have such a program. Essentially if you buy a player’s jersey and that player leaves the team within a year, you have two months to buy a new jersey at a discount. Not quite the one-for-one Aaron Hernandez jersey trades from last year, but still pretty cool.