Buffalo Bills Game Recap


Oct 13, 2013; Orchard Park, NY, USA; Buffalo Bills quarterback Thad Lewis (9) runs against Cincinnati Bengals defensive end Carlos Dunlap (96) during the first half at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Timothy T. Ludwig-USA TODAY Sports

This Sunday morning the Buffalo Bills took on the Cincinnati Bengals at Ralph Wilson Stadium. The Bills coming off a disappointing defeat at the hands of the surging Cleveland Browns on Thursday Night Football, and the Bengals off their best team performance of the season beating the previously unbeaten New England Patriots in a dominant defensive performance.

Contrary to what most thought, this game started out with the offenses dominating, and moving the ball up and down the field. While the Bengals scored the first points off a Mike Nugent field goal, the Bills scored the first touchdown of the game, off a quarterback draw from former practice squad-er, Thad Lewis. Lewis of course starting for the injured EJ Manuel, who hurt his knee in the Thursday night game. The Bengals responded as well with a touchdown from Andy Dalton to his superstar receiver AJ Green, for the first time in games. The theme of long drives continued into the second quarter, but the Bills were the first to falter, turning the ball over on downs, on the goaline. The Bengals responded with another touchdown drive, with another Andy Dalton touchdown pass to scat back Giovani Bernard, on a dump off pass that Bernard turned into the big scoring play through some great moves, and power on the goaline. A Buffalo Bills field goal followed, which was the end of the scoring for the half, as the Dalton threw an interception, and the Bills punted the ball on each team’s final possessions of the half, leaving the Bengals with a 17-10 lead at half.

The Bills got the ball after half, and Thad Lewis promptly fumbled the ball away to Vontaze Burfict, giving the Bengals excellent field position. They capitalized on this good position with another touchdown throw from Dalton, this time to Marvin Jones. A few punts and a missed field goal later, the third period ended, with the Bengals up 24-10 entering the fourth quarter. Buffalo continuing their drive from the end of the third, scored on a touchdown pass from Lewis to tight end Scott Chandler, making this a 24-17 ball game. And again it was Thad Lewis showing up in the fourth, throwing his second touchdown of the quarter on a deep bomb to Marquise Goodwin. The Bengals couldn’t go ahead, so off we go to overtime!

Both team’s were unable to score on their first possessions, so the game goes to sudden death overtime. After Lewis wasn’t able to convert on third down in their own end, a massive punt return deep into Bills territory, which was the kiss of death for them. Mike Nugent knocked through a 43 yard field goal, and the Bengals take the win in Buffalo, 27-24.