After the last Patriot victory, you voted S Patrick Chung as the Player of the Week. After yesterday’s come from behind victory over the Ravens, it’s time to vote for the Player of the Week based on yesterday’s performance. This week is not going to be as easy as the previous weeks where there was a clear-cut standout player. Yesterday’s win was a team effort, with all of the pieces working together. The offense churned out long scoring drives, the defense came up with big stops when it was needed most, and special teams came through with some key plays. The nominees represent a sampling from those three phases of the game. Here are the nominees:
- Tom Brady. It wasn’t his best game, but he directed drives against a tough Baltimore defense to come back from being down 10 points in the 4th quarter and engineered the game-winning drive in OT. Brady was 27 of 44 for 292 yards, a touchdown and 2 interceptions. One of those INT’s were on a Hail Mary pass at the end of the first half.
- Danny Woodhead. The pint-sized running back took a majority of the snaps at RB and even lined up as a wide receiver in some formations. Whenever the Patriots needed a first down, Woodhead seemed to manage a long run or a make a key reception to keep the chains moving. He also picked up a blitzing Ray Lewis, no easy task for even a normal-sized NFL back. Woodhead finished the game with 11 carries for 63 yards (5.7 average) and caught 5 passes for 52 yards.
- Deion Branch. Branch looked like he didn’t miss a beat after being away from the team for 4 years. He and Brady hooked up 9 times for 98 yards and a game-tying TD. In OT, Branch caught a 23-yard pass over the middle to help set up Stephen Gostkowski’s game-winning field goal.
- Jermaine Cunningham. The rookie outside linebacker had a great game. He consistently provided pressure Joe Flacco and prevented Ray Rice from bouncing long runs on the outside by setting the edge. He had 6 tackles, a sack, and a forced fumble. He also forced a costly holding penalty on Michael Oher.
- Zoltan Mesko. Mesko had a big day punting the ball, pinning the Ravens back and making them go the distance to score points. He averaged 47 yards per punt and dropped two inside the 20-yard line. One of the biggest plays of the game occurred in OT when, after going nowhere on offense, the Patriots needed a big punt and Mesko delivered. Mesko punted from the New England 16-yard line 65 yards to the Baltimore 19. The defense then stopped the Ravens, which led to good field position and the eventual game-winning drive.
Cast your vote! Voting closes Thursday!
Who is the Patriots' Player of the Week for Week 6?
- Danny Woodhead (69%, 52 Votes)
- Deion Branch (23%, 17 Votes)
- Zoltan Mesko (5%, 4 Votes)
- Tom Brady (3%, 2 Votes)
- Jermaine Cunningham (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 75