Welcome to The Patriot Way – New England Patriots News and links from around the web
– The New England Patriots reportedly hosted free agent guard Davin Joseph. Joseph could be a solid pickup depending on how his knee checks out. He has had a very steady career since being selected by Tampa Bay in the first round of the 2006 draft, but his play dropped off after a knee injury (against the Patriots no less) cost him the 2012 season. If nothing else, he could provide some insurance if the Patriots are not able to draft a guard that they like later this week.
– Jerod Mayo met with reporters yesterday, talking about his injury and the state of the Patriots. Having Mayo healthy for a full year would be a dramatic boost to the defense. He is the clear leader of the defense in terms of making sure everyone is in the right place and from an X’s and O’s standpoint, he can actually cover someone. Mayo also spoke about the departure of linebacker Brandon Spikes.
– Mike Reiss breaks down the contract for new Patriots defensive end Will Smith. Interesting that there is zero guaranteed money if he does not make the roster. Ultimate no risk move.
– Greg Bedard takes a look at what each team should do in the draft, as opposed to what he thinks they will do. Can’t really argue with the selection the way the draft unfolded, getting a future starter who would potentially push for time right away.
– Guys, we can’t all rush the passer on third down.