Welcome to The Patriot Way – New England Patriots News and links from around the web
– Safety is an area of concern for the Patriots, depending on how you feel about Duron Harmon. Mike Reiss takes a look at one safety that could be a perfect fit for the Patriots. Given the lack of depth for safeties in this draft class, there is a possibility the Patriots go early on a safety. Personally I feel there are more pressing needs in the front 7 and on offense, and would be disappointed if the Patriots passed on a need there for a safety.
– Mike Mayock held a conference call Thursday, and had a few comments and thoughts about the Patriots.
– In darker news, things continue to go poorly for this former player.
– CBS sports reviews and grades the 2012 NFL draft for each team. While the Tavon Wilson selection looks worse with each passing week, the selections of Chandler Jones Alfonzo Dennard more than make up for the disappointing safety. I also don’t recall Wilson playing significant time this past year much less corner.
– The other first rounder for the Patriots in 2012, Dont’a Hightower, spoke with the media Thursday. The most notable takeaway was his preference to rush the passer rather than cover on third downs. I think I speak for most Patriot fans when I say that is our preference as well. With the continued development of Jamie Collins and the return of Jerod Mayo, not to mention a deeper secondary, the need to Hightower to cover in the pass game may be lessened this year.
– Well this isn’t what you want to hear in the offseason. Need Shane Vereen back healthy and ready to go for next season, as he is one of the truly dynamic players on offense.