Welcome to The Patriot Way – New England Patriots News and links from around the web
- The Patriots rank low in the league in terms of total acquisitions this offseason. One could argue that the Patriots are going for quality over quantity in terms of their player acquisitions, or one could see that the teams with the most acquisitions were not good teams last year. A good team without a mass exodus is not going to need a major influx in talent, and most of the smart teams (see Patriots, New England) do much of their shopping in the draft.
- Mike Reiss takes a look at receiver Aaron Dobson and the “2nd year jump” for players that Bill Belichick often talks about. Belichick has said in the past that the biggest jump ain players occurs during their second year in the league. The optimist in me sees that Dobson has all the physical tools necessary to be an impact player in the NFL and will be given every chance to succeed (and I am not alone). The pessimist in me doubts his impact and long term outlook in New England given the setback of foot surgery this offseason.
- Reiss also looks at other second year players and their potential development moving forward. The biggest name, to me, is Jamie Collins. What a steal he would be if he develops into a three down linebacker.
- Continuing on their path of meeting with many of the top quarterbacks in this years draft class, the Patriots met with former Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron. If McCarron were available later in the draft, I could see the Patriots taking the signal caller in the middle rounds, similar to the selection of Ryan Mallett. As long as we never have to use him, the Patriots can draft any quarterback they want.
- The Patriots also met with a few other prospects.
- Patriots team doctor Dr Thomas Gill will step down from his position to pursue his private practice.