Welcome to The Patriot Way – New England Patriots News and links from around the web
- Quarterback Johnny Manziel, AKA Johnny Football, is set to visit the Patriots on Wednesday. The Patriots also met with or hosted Quarterbacks Teddy Bridgewater and Blake Bortles. This is the Patriots being thorough, as they are every year, in meeting with many of the top prospects in the class to get a better understanding on the abilities of these quarterbacks. It could help if they meet in a game down the line, or if the need arises in free agency later on, as it did with Tim Tebow.
- The Patriots hall of fame vote is coming up soon, and here is a primer on this years vote. Expect to start to see a bit of a backlog of players worthy of making the HOF, such as Rodney Harrison, Ty Law and Big Willie McGinest, given the sheer number of superb players that were on the Patriots in recent history.
- Former Saints defensive end Will Smith is set for his visit to Foxboro, but this is not the first time that the Patriots have had interest in the lineman from Ohio State. Smith would likely serve as a nickel/situational pass rusher that can rotate with the defensive line. Any player that can rush the passer and spell ends Rob Ninkovich and Chandler Jones is perfect in my book.
- There are still other low cost, low risk options out there on the free agent market. I suspect the Patriots will bring other veterans into camp, particularly after the draft plays out and the team can reassess where they are at in terms of constructing their team.
- Darrelle Revis’ agent has confirmed that the corner’s knee is back to 100% and he is more motivated than ever heading into this season. I can’t wait to see what Revis can do and how it changes the defense, hopefully giving a lackluster pass rush a bit more time to get some pressure on the quarterback.