Welcome to The Patriot Way – New England Patriots News and links from around the web
– Defensive lineman Vince Wilfork has agreed to a contract extension with the Patriots, mere weeks after he had asked the team to be released. This move not only helps to shore up the already thin defensive line, but it keeps a veteran leader in the locker room at a time when the defense is very young and still developing. From a fan perspective, this increases the chances that Wilfork will retire a Patriot, something I would personally love to see.
– The deal appears to be a three year pact in the range of $22.5 million total. The specifics of how much is guaranteed and how the money is paid have yet to be released, but one can assume that the extension will offer cap relief this year. Wilfork was due to be paid $7.5 million and count $11.5 million against the cap.
– The Wilfork move more or less concludes what has been a very eventful, and hopefully successful, free agency period for the Patriots. There will likely still be a few moves made, and there is still the draft to come in May, but much of the heavy lifting appears to be done.
– The Patriots are set to host Iowa tight end C. J. Fiedorowicz before the draft in May. Fiedorowicz is a very large tight end, similar size to current Patriot Rob Gronkowski, and he also comes with the Belichick- Kirk Ferentz Iowa connection. Adding a tight end, either through the draft or free agency is still a major need for the Patriots this offseason.
– Tom Brady, who lives in the area, witnessed the deadly fire in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston earlier this week. Brady called in to local radio station WEEI to express his condolences and gratitude towards the Boston Fire Department. Condolences to the families of the two fire fighters who made the ultimate sacrifice.