Welcome to The Patriot Way – New England Patriot News and links from around the web.
- Receiver Julian Edelman has re-signed with the Patriots. Terms of the agreement have not yet been released, but this is positive news as the Patriots avoid losing their top receiver to free agency two years in a row. Not to be lost is the impact that Edelman has on special teams, as he is one of the league’s top punt return men.
- The Patriots did lose one player to free agency as reserve linebacker Dane Fletcher signed a one year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Tough to lose an established special teams beast and reserve linebacker, but there was no chance the Patriots were going to pay Fletcher that much.
- The Patriots have reached an agreement with former Panthers receiver Brandon Lafell. Field Yates has his breakdown of Lafell as a player from a scout’s perspective. It will be interesting to see how the Patriots use Lafell, as he was primarily used in the slot in Carolina. Any new targets that can help the offense become more consistent are welcomed with open arms.
- In other receiver news, the Patriots were set to host Kenny Britt, formerly of the Tennessee Titans to a visit on Sunday. Britt would be far and away the biggest receiver on the roster, but he would also bring far and away the most baggage. Presumably he would sign a minimum level contract, making such a signing worth the risk.
- Such an eventful and atypical offseason for New England. Usually Patriots fans feel like this kid during free agency.