Welcome to The Patriots Way – New England Patriots News and links from around the web.
– The Patriots have begun discussions with receiver Julian Edelman regarding a new deal. If the price is right Edelman should be back in New England. If his market reaches a certain point, the Patriots would be wise to hold their ground and let him walk.
– Todd McShay released his third mock draft yesterday and at pick 29 had the Patriots taking Minnesota defensive tackle Ra’Shede Hageman. Hageman is regarded as an outstanding physical talent with some off the field issues, but having the potential to be a great player in the long run. He has Richard Seymour size and if he turns out anything like him he’ll be a stud.
– Bill Belichick does not label draft prospects by their projected round value, rather he has them labeled by what they can bring to the team. The reasoning behind this makes all too much sense; why focus on what the other 31 team and hundreds of other prospects are doing and simply focus on what that specific player is capable of bringing to the organization.
– NESN has their new mock draft up, and they have the Patriots taking a different prospect than anyone else. I agree with their notion that the Patriots will likely trade down (at least once) this draft, given the depth and the lack of multiple picks in the first few rounds. It’s become a tradition here in New England to watch the draft for a few hours, wait anxiously for the Patriots ot be on the clock, wait ten minutes longer for the Patriots clock to run down, then become angry when a different teams logo is now on the clock.
– Check out WEEI for a roundup of Patriots mock drafts. The pick I want to have happen but know it is unlikely he’ll be there is Louis Nix III, NT from Notre Dame. He could rotate through from day one and become a stud down the line when Wilfork hangs ‘em up.
– A couple Patriots make this list, which may not be a good thing. It’s all relative, but the longer the Talib situation goes on, the worse I feel about the conclusion.