Welcome to The Patriot Way – New England Patriots news and links from around the web.
– Patriots Safety Devin McCourty did an interview with ESPN Boston, in which he talked about the defense and where he thinks they can go as a unit while also stumping for the return of corner Aqib Talib. A healthy unit in 2014 should be miles ahead of where the depleted defensive corps was last year, but they still have a few major steps to take before reaching the level McCourty is talking about.
– As you review the combine results, scouring through information for some insight on who the Patriots may draft, keep in mind that not all players drafted were invited to the combine. One just has to look at the Patriots roster for proof of that.
– In darker news, Aaron Hernandez was reportedly involved in a fight with another inmate.
– With free agency set to begin in March, there are reports that the salary cap could rise to over $130m, a significant bump over the projected $126m figure most had previously projected. This jump, combined with salary cap space carried over would give the Patriots a little more wiggle room in dealing with cap issues and signing free agents.
– If Michael Lombardi brought anything to the Patriots from the Browns not named Josh Gordon he should be thrown out immediately.