Welcome to The Patriot Way – New England Patriots News and links from around the web.
- Reports that the Seahawks will cut defensive end Red Bryant has lead to speculation that the Patriots may be interested in his services. The Patriots courted Bryant in 2012 when Bryant was a free agent, with Seattle ultimately prevailing. At 6’4″, 323 lbs, Bryant would be a boost to the defensive tackle rotation and be an immediate starter.
- It appears all those rumors about former Rutger and Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano and the Patriots were all for naught.
- Per Mike Reiss, the Patriots have had a winning season for 13 consecutive seasons, far and away the most in the league. In fact, only two teams have had winning seasons the last four years, the Patriots and Green Bay. This is just astounding and really makes you take a step back and look at the Belichick era as it stands today.
- The Combine began this past weekend and continues today with defensive lineman and linebackers working out. Interesting to see which prospects stand out as this is considered to be one of the Patriots top needs.
- For a review of how the offensive prospects did over the weekend, check out here and here. The combine can be overrated when evaluating many prospects (looking at you Vernon Gholston), but it can also give lesser know prospects a chance to display their athleticism (such as Jamie Collins from 2013).
- Well there is at least one player who is stumping to be a Patriots backup. I suppose I wouldn’t mind if AJ McCarron became the Patriots backup, provided the Patriots didn’t pass over a prospect who could help in the more immediate future. This is Brady’s team for the next few years at least, and there is something to be said about learning for a few years before starting. Worked out well for Aaron Rodgers.