Hello and welcome to The Patriot Way, New England Patriots news and links from around the web.
- Mike Reiss takes a look at how the deal DeAngelo Hall signed with the Redskins impacts the Patriots negotiations with Aqib Talib. It has been said repeatedly, but the Patriots need to sign Talib at the right price given what he does to the defense when healthy.
- The NFL Combine begins today and is a chance for the lesser known prospects or those with questions to gain some traction in the climb up teams draft boards. Field Yates has his take on the combine process and what it can mean to prospects. A prime example of a player who benefited from the combine is Patriots second round pick from last year, linebacker Jamie Collins. Collins was able to display his athleticism and put himself on teams radars after playing for a miserable Southern Miss team the year before.
- Respected analyst Mike Mayock outlines a few different prospects that the Patriots could be looking to draft if available at their selection (#29 as it currently stands).
- Don’t expect coach Bill Belichick or anyone from the Patriots to meet with the media this week. In the past, Belichick has met with the media and talked extensively about the NFL and football as a whole.
- Be sure to follow the other teams in the Patriots division. The first goal is always to win the division so know your enemy.
- For an example of just how poorly a draft can go, check out this re-draft of 2006. Needless to say I don’t think the Patriots would be taking either Laurence Maroney in the first or Chad Jackson in the second. This draft set the Patriots back and is a prime example that sometimes the flashy pick isn’t the right pick.