Welcome to the Patriot Way, New England Patriots news and links from around the web.
- I know, the story just won’t go away, but the intern who was responsible for filming the whole spygate scandal is having his super bowl ring auctioned off. Hope you have been saving up!
- In equally depressing news, Tom Brady and Bill Belichick have round one of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am golf tournament in the books. They both fared pretty well but I would rather they be recovering from Super Bowl celebrations and duck parades.
- Mike Reiss has an interesting piece on backup quarterbacks and their value in terms of salary commitment. To be honest I was surprised that backup quarterback salaries had elevated so much, particularly for teams with established quarterbacks (Colts, Cowboys). I still believe that this is the offseason when Mallet is dealt and a new developmental backup is brought in. This is not the Patriots team of 2008, Brady goes down we are in trouble.
- Bleacher Report has a breakdown of the statistical areas where the Patriots need to improve as a team. No big surprises here as any fan who watched all the games could tell you, but it is startling to show how little growth (or worse, regression!) the team has shown in a few key areas.
- The latest edition of the Kiper/McShay mock drafts are out and analysis can be found here. Take these with a grain of salt. I very much doubt one of the top corners in the draft falls all the way to 29, though stranger things have happened. Here is SI.com’s Doug Farrar’s first mock draft. Again, very early in the draft process to truly know what teams are thinking.
- The most important player that needs to develop heading into the 2014 season is wideout Aaron Dobson. Many of the problems on offense would be eased if he could develop into a steady, every down receiver.
- With limited cap space at the moment, the Patriots may seek to gain some breathing room through Vince Wilfork.
Tags: New England Patriots