- Jackie MacMullan has an excellent piece (as always) on Tom Brady and the receiving corps. I have long been in the camp of being fiscally responsible, but this year has finally pushed me to the other camp. Yes I know Aaron Hernandez was not expected to be arrested, and yes I know Rob Gronkwoski wasn’t supposed to get hurt again. The problem is that there is no blue-chip talent on this offense outside of Brady and Logan Mankins. Can Brady win without marquee talent? Yes, he has shown that before. Is it easy and do the Patriots NEED to do it? No. The Patriots need to sign and draft some top skill players.
- Guard Logan Mankins has been selected for his team in this years Pro-Bowl. He will be playing for team Sanders, which will be finalized on NFL Network Wednesday.
- Long time Patriots assistant Pepper Johnson, the linebackers coach this past season, will not be returning to the team next year. This is a somewhat surprising development, as Johnson had been with the Patriots for 13 years, and with coach Belichick for longer than that. There was speculation that Johnson is looking for opportunities to advance and become a defensive coordinator, a position he was passed over with the Patriots, who instead opted for Matt Patricia.
- The Patriots signed defensive lineman Marcus Forston to a futures contract. Forston was the last practice squad member to sign a futures contract this offseason.
- Not Patriots specific, but the Senior Bowl is this week. Coach Bill Belichick is in Mobile this week to take in the practices which feature some of the top college seniors in the nation. To begin to become familiar with some of the players and potential draft targets head over here.
- It was 20 years ago that Robert Kraft purchased the New England Patriots, a move that paved the way to the premier franchise they are today.
Topics: New England Patriots