Here are some of the Patriots who stood out as studs in the game today against the Pittsburgh Steelers, and some who were more of a dud.
- Kevin Faulk – Faulk picked up right where he left off in his first game action in 13 months since being activated off the PUP list. Faulk had 6 runs for 32 yards and 5 catches 20 yards while resuming his role as a pass protector. His one negative was a chop block penalty.
- Rob Gronkowski – Gronk turned out another good performance, leading the team with 7 catches for 94 yards. There was also a catch that appeared to be a touchdown but he was ruled down at the 1-yard line.
- Pass defense - The pass defense couldn’t stop a high school team today. It didn’t matter if it was the linebackers or the secondary in coverage, it was all around bad.
- Pass protection - Tom Brady was hurried and hit several times throughout the game and was sacked 3 times. Sebastian Vollmer really struggled in particular, and Logan Mankins was flagged for two false start penalties.
- Stephen Gostkowski - Gostkowski missed a 42-yard field goal and made a pitiful attempt at an onside kick when the Patriots still had a chance in the game. His drop kick on the safety punt went out of bounds.