Here are some of the Patriots who stood out as studs in the game yesterday against the Oakland Raiders, and some who were more of a dud.
- Wes Welker – Another big week fro Brady’s go-to guy. Welker makes 9 catches for 158 yards and a touchdown.
- Stevan Ridley – The rookie running back is making a case every time he touches the ball to become a bigger part of the offense. He rushed for 97 yards on 10 carries, including a 33-yard TD scamper.
- Patrick Chung – His presence was felt on the field, and not just from a statistical standpoint. He runs the communication in the secondary and the unit turned out a better performance as a whole. Statistically, Chung 4 tackles and made probably the easiest INT he’ll ever get.
- Vince Wilfork – What doesn’t this guy do? For the second time in this young season, Big Vince snagged an INT. For the record, and this is actually kind of sad, Vince Wilfork is tied for the team lead in interceptions.
- Shaun Ellis – Ellis missed several tackles, including one one Jacoby Ford’s 30-yard run that should have been a 5-yard loss.
- Rob Gronkowski – Gronk didn’t really have that bad of a day, but he was expected to have a bigger day against Oakland’s linebackers. He was targeted 5 times but made only one catch for 15 tough yards. Truth be told though, most of those targets were poor throws by Brady. Please don’t beat me up Mr. Gronkosaurus.
- 3rd down defense – The Patriots still can’t get off the field on 3rd down, whether it’s poor coverage or a poor pass rush, or both. The Raiders converted on 62% of their 3rd down tries. That’s terrible.