Good morning! The First Shot provides you with a healthy helping of links to the top Patriots-related stories around the internet to get your day started. Enjoy your breakfast, your coffee, put off your work (just keep an eye out for the boss), and get your early morning football fix. The links begin after the jump…
- Yesterday, I examined a lost art in the gridiron: butt-blocking.
- Injuries for the Patriots have risen this year in training camp as opposed to last year.
- Capping off review of the Patriots-Bucs preseason game, I re-examine the five items I was watching in the game.
- The Pats re-signed TE/FB Garrett Mills yesterday and released S Bret Lockett and OL Zac Roth. The Pats hope to bring back at least Lockett once he clears waivers and place him on IR. Mills, you may recall, was a 4th round pick for the Pats in 2006 and was released after camp in 2007. The Pats hoped to get him on the practice squad but the Vikings swooped in and claimed him.
- Myra Kraft was remembered in last night’s San Diego Chargers/Dallas Cowboys preseason game by NBC analysts Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth. Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston has a transcription of what was said by the two in the booth.
- Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald writes about the new-look defense and its attacking nature.
- Christopher Price of WEEI.com takes another stab at projecting the Patriots’ 53-man roster.