Good morning! The First Shot provides you with a healthy helping of links to the top Patriots-related stories around the internet to get your day started. Enjoy your breakfast, your coffee, put off your work (just keep an eye out for the boss), and get your early morning football fix. The links begin after the jump…
- LT Matt Light can’t practice yet due to the new CBA rules, but he did speak with the media yesterday. Light can’t be happier returning to the Patriots. You can watch video of Light’s interview HERE and/or read the transcript HERE.
- RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis is in the same boat as Light in terms of practice, and he also spoke with the media.
- If you’re planning on going to training camp today, keep your eyes tuned to the Patriots’ website or call 508-549-0001. Practice is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. but may get moved up if the CBA gets ratified earlier and allows newly-signed players to start practicing earlier. As it stands now, they can’t practice until after 4 p.m., hence the late start time. That’s you Matt Light and Law Firm, among others.
- The Osi Umenyiora trade talk has been quelled, at least for the time being, as the New York Giants have rescinded Umenyiora’s permission to seek a trade.
- The look into free agent DE/OLB continues as the Pats brought in Quentin Moses for a workout.
- Last night’s season-ticket holder/Foxborough-resident-only training camp practice inside Gillette Stadium had a five-year high in attendance with 18,334 fans. ESPN Boston’s Mike Rodak presents his observations from the practice, as does the Boston Herald’s Ian Rapoport.
- Michael Lombardi on NFL Total Access analyzes the Patriot Way in terms of the Albert Haynesworth and Chad Ochocinco trades, and Willie McGinest joins in the conversation. Definitely worth a watch.
- Here’s a top 10 list of gifts for Tom Brady’s birthday. He turned 34 yesterday.