Good morning! The First Shot provides you with a healthy helping of links to the top Patriots-related stories around the internet to get your day started. Enjoy your breakfast, your coffee, put off your work (just keep an eye out for the boss), and get your early morning football fix. The links begin after the jump…
- It was a whirlwind day for Patriots fans yesterday. It started when word got out that the Patriots traded for DT Albert Haynesworth. Haynesworth loathed the 3-4 defense in Washington, so what role would he have in New England? I answer that HERE, and ESPN’s Mark Schlereth echoed my analysis. While the Pats have received a lot of praise for the deal, Haynesworth does come with a TON of baggage.
- The Pats followed that up later in the day by trading with the Bengals for Chad Ochocinco. The strong bond between Chad and Bill Belichick helped seal the deal. What can Chad do for the Pats? While he’s not the vertical threat he used to be, he does bring slick route running skills and the ability to get open. If Troy Brown thinks it’s a good move, I’m sold. Adam “Pacman” Jones had the (dis?)pleasure of cleaning out Ocho’s locker in Cinci.
- Are the two trades the Pats made yesterday “brilliant or a disaster-in-waiting?” ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss examines…
- Missed yesterday’s opening training camp practices? HERE are some scenes from the day, and HERE is a list of those players starting camp on the PUP list.
- Aside from the trades, the Pats have also agreed to deals with rookies Stevan Ridley, Michael Williams, and reportedly Ryan Mallett.
- Worried about the Jets‘ pursuit of Nnamdi Asomugha? I was, but Richard Hill from Pats Pulpit does a nice job of providing some solid analysis quelling those fears.