Good morning! The First Shot provides you with a healthy helping of links to the top Patriots-related stories around the internet to get your day started. Enjoy your breakfast, your coffee, put off your work (just keep an eye out for the boss), and get your early morning football fix. The links begin after the jump…
- Mike Reiss of ESPN Boston shares various thoughts about the Patriots and the NFL in general, including Matt Light’s status, the Jets’ under-the-radar workouts, and Chad Pennington’s new job this season.
- CB Devin McCourty and his twin brother Jason have finally realized a childhood dream: buying their mother a house.
- Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald analyzes the value of 35-year-old RB Kevin Faulk to the Patriots, and makes the case that the Pats bring him back for one more season.
- Christopher Price of WEEI.com makes the case that there should be fewer rookie holdouts this year due to the lockout. The rookies are already at a disadvantage by not having any mini-camps, and any further delays would really set them back.
- There is a poll up on NESN.com asking fans which MVP championship performance was the greatest. The nominees are: Manny Ramirez from the 2004 World Series, Tim Thomas for this year’s Stanley Cup, Tom Brady for Super Bowl XXXVIII against the Panthers in 2003, and Paul Pierce from the 2008 NBA Finals.