Good morning! The First Shot provides you with a healthy helping of links to the top Patriots-related stories around the internet to get your day started. Enjoy your breakfast, your coffee, put off your work (just keep an eye out for the boss), and get your early morning football fix. The links begin after the jump…
- The X’s and O’s series continues with a look at RB Danny Woodhead’s first TD as a New England Patriot. Stay tuned later today for a double-feature: Deion Branch’s first TD since his return to New England and TE Aaron Hernandez’s TD reception against the Indianapolis Colts from Week 11.
- Wes Welker was voted the 50th-best player in the NFL for 2010 by NFL players. What do you think of his ranking? Vote in the poll.
- ESPN Boston has two polls up, asking fans which player was Bill Belichick’s best first-round pick. It’s separated into two polls: 2000-2005 and 2006-2010.
- DL Ron Brace toured his hometown Springfield, MA after tornadoes struck last week. He shared some photos with the Boston Herald of his tour of the devastation.
- Former Steelers and Giants WR Plaxico Burress was released from jail Monday and is planning a return to the NFL. Don’t expect to see him in Patriots blue, says Tom E. Curran of Comcast Sports Net. Meanwhile, NESN.com has a poll up asking fans if they want Burress in Patriots uniform.
- The latest lockout news have the NFL owners filing a motion to have the players’ antitrust suit dismissed. The court date? Sept. 12, the Monday after the regular season is scheduled to begin. I think everyone’s hoping that we’ll never see that court session.