Good morning! The First Shot provides you with a healthy helping of links to the top Patriots-related stories around the internet to get your day started. Enjoy your breakfast, your coffee, and the final day of the weekend with an early morning football fix. The links begin after the jump…
- Yesterday, I examined the possibility of a Patriots/Chad Ochocinco union. Gracias, but no gracias.
- Patriots Football Weekly tries to predict which rookie on the Pats will have the biggest immediate impact in 2011. There’s a poll up as well allowing you to vote for the rookie you think will have the biggest impact.
- Wes Welker held his annual youth football camp, and you can watch him coach some kids on how to block from the wide receiver position, discuss his lack of concern about his own contract, and how the rookies need to open up their wallets for some personal training while the lockout is in place.
- ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss talks to the current #2 QB in New England about the acquisition of Ryan Mallett. Brian Hoyer’s ready for the competition.
- Want the latest on the lockout? The players have likened the NFL to a “cartel” in their latest court filing. Ouch. I’m not sure that’s language that will encourage a new deal.
- Some of the Patriots’ AFC East rivals are getting together to work out during the lockout. So far, no Patriots are joining in on this venture.
Check back later today as I examine a couple of young wide receivers who may be poised for breakout seasons.