Good morning! The First Shot provides you with a healthy helping of links to the top Patriots-related stories around the internet to get your day started. Enjoy your breakfast, your coffee, put off your work (just keep an eye out for the boss), and get your early morning football fix. The links begin after the jump…
- Yesterday, Musket Fire’s Mike Spell took a closer look at the Patriots’ first-round selection, OT Nate Solder.
- Last night, I explained how and why the Patriots make their draft day trades, and how “value” fits into it all.
- Good news Pats fans! The Patriots are tied with the Packers as the odds-on favorites to make it to the Super Bowl.
- Patriots RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis was on ESPN’s “First Take” to discuss, in part, the new running backs the Pats selected in the draft. Check out video of the interview HERE.
- Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald continues his deeper look into QB Ryan Mallet. He talks to Mallet’s high school football coach, discusses how being a Texas High School QB prepares you for the NFL, talks to Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino about why Mallet will adjust quickly to the NFL, and discusses what we can learn about Mallet from his start as a high school freshman.
- Karen Guregian from the Boston Herald discusses why the Patriots’ seemingly forgotten man of the draft, first-round pick Nate Solder, is a great selection.
- FOXSports.com’s Jay Glazer discusses the Pats’ selection of Ryan Mallet, including how one NFC GM called him the “Charlie Sheen of this draft.”
- Finally on a lighter note, NFL.com’s Adam Rank compares certain NFL personalities to Star Wars characters. Bill Belichick made the list. Care to guess which Star Wars character he is?