Wes Welker held a press conference today to talk about the upcoming playoff game against the Jets. At first, it seemed like any other press conference. However, Pro Football Talk caught on to something that couldn’t have been an accident…Welker made 11 references to “feet” in giving answers to pretty mundane, typical questions. Of course, Rex Ryan’s alleged foot fetish and the alleged foot-fetish video with his wife was not being referenced at all…right? Welker is a notorious prankster in the locker room, so it’s certainly in the realm of possibility that all of the foot references were subtle shots at Rex Ryan.
Bearing that information in mind, and given the use of foot metaphors in awkward spots, you can’t help but believe that Welker was indeed getting some digs in on Ryan.
I couldn’t stop laughing watching Welker’s press conference video. If you didn’t have this prior knowledge, it would otherwise be pretty ordinary. Deadspin put together a montage video of his foot references, which is pretty hilarious. Here are all of the references, shortened by Pro Football Talk:
1. On this week of preparation: “Everybody’s putting their best foot forward.”
2. On young players in the playoffs: “You can’t just stick your toe in the water. You gotta jump right in.”
3. On playing this year as opposed to last year: “It’s definitely different. You know, you’ve got your foot up in the air trying to get the swelling to go down. Definitely excited about the opportunity to get out there and have some fun.”
4. On the opportunity this week: “These are the games you play for. What you spend all year getting ready for and you just want to put your best foot forward.”
5. On Revis: “He’s got great feet.”
6. On Revis again: “He’s very patient, has good feet.”
7. On Deion Branch: “He runs some really good routes out there . . . He’s another guy with great feet and can really move around.”
8. On practice: “You want to make sure you’re putting your best foot forward out there and making it happen.”
9. More on practice: “Us going out there and being good little foot soliders and making sure we’re going out there and doing everything coach asks us to do.”
10. On seeing new things in the playoffs: “You definitely have to be on your toes and make sure you’re ready to go.”
You gotta believe that the players were listening in the locker room bowled over with laughter. I can’t wait for tomorrow to see if Rex and/or Welker get asked about this!