The Patriots were impressive in their 38-24 win in the regular season opener against the Bengals. There were several players that had good games, but there were some that stood out above the rest. Make your voice heard and vote for the Player of the Game for Week One. The nominees are:
- Devin McCourty – The corner started his first regular season game and was targeted the very first play of the game. On that play, he had a nice break-up of a pass intended for Terrell Owens. As the game progressed, fewer and fewer passes went his way. He held Terrell Owens to 53 yards on 7 catches, while Owens was targeted 13 times. McCourty finished the game with 4 tackles and one pass defensed.
- Tom Brady – Brady was in mid-season form, playing nearly flawlessly throughout the entire game. Brady was 25 of 35 for 258 yards, 3 touchdowns, no interceptions, and a QB rating of 120.9. When Cincinnati began to get back into the game, Brady orchestrated a 7-minute, 14-play TD drive to seal the deal.
- Gary Guyton – Guyton had a 59-yard INT return for a TD in the second quarter. He finished the game with 2 tackles, the INT and TD, and a pass defensed.
- Patrick Chung – Chung looked like he was shot out of a cannon on every play. He was always around the ball and made big tackles throughout the game. He finished the game with 16 tackles.
- Wes Welker – Welker made a triumphant return after tearing his ACL in his last regular season appearance. Welker scored a TD on the Pats’ opening drive and finished the day with 8 catches for 64 yards and 2 touchdowns.
Who was the Player of the Game for Week One?
- Tom Brady (31%, 62 Votes)
- Patrick Chung (29%, 59 Votes)
- Wes Welker (27%, 54 Votes)
- Devin McCourty (10%, 20 Votes)
- Gary Guyton (3%, 6 Votes)
Total Voters: 201