After the draft, the New England Patriots didn’t waste any time making some more additions to the team, despite drafting 12 players. Immediately following the draft, the Patriots announced the signing of DT Gerard Warren. Warren would likely play defensive end in the 3-4 alignment. Warren becomes the fourth former Gator added to the team since Day 2 of the draft. In the second round, the Pats drafted former Gators Jermaine Cunningham and Brandon Spikes, and in the fourth round, drafted Aaron Hernandez. Gerard Warren was the third pick in the 2001 Draft by the Cleveland Browns and while he has never been the impact player someone of his draft position would suggest, he has been solid since leaving Cleveland and moving to Denver and then Oakland, where he spent the last 3 seasons. He started all 16 games last season for the Raiders and figures to be part of the rotation at DE opposite Ty Warren.
The Patriots also have signed 6 rookie free agents. Every year since 2004 (except 2007), a rookie free agent has made the 53-man roster. It will be interesting to see who (if anyone) continues that tradition this year. Here are the 6:
- RB Pat Paschall, North Dakota St.
- DE Dane Fletcher, Montana St. (projects as an OLB in the 3-4 according to Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com)
- S Sergio Brown, Notre Dame
- S Ross Ventrone, Villanova (Yes he is related to former Patriots safety Ray Ventrone- it’s his brother)
- WR Bryan Anderson, Central Michigan
- DL Kyle Love, Mississippi St.